Teas and Tribes

10 Jan

Hello one and all. I write from Cherrapunji, also known as Sorah. It is the rainiest place on Earth, but luckily most of the rain falls in the monsoon season so I have remained dry.

I left Darjeeling after a long break away from the bike facing a nice descent down the 2000m that I got a bus up. The descent down into the plains of West Bengal was nice, however the roads were busy with tourist jeeps and the road conditions slowed me down. I couldn’t truly appreciate it either knowing that I hadn’t put the effort in to get up there. It was a nice relief to get down to a bit of warmth after the cold air up in the clouds.

The roads were flat all the way to Assam, but nice, through pleasant tea plantations. It was a welcome change to be back in my tent again after civilisation and found I found a few nice camp sites; one in a forest and the other by a river. I went to Dhubri, a pretty standard large Indian town to watch some football (on TV) and spend to New Year’s Eve close to a ready supply of alcohol and people. After a couple of days there I went to get the 12 o’clock ferry to Fakirganj, but it no longer runs, so had to wait for the one at 3. While waiting I ran into a protest for women’s rights sparked by the recent brutal rape of a woman on a bus in Delhi which has been in the news recently . It was nice to chat to some of the women, especially a teacher of English language and had a little debate about whether a banner saying ‘Hang the rapist’s’ was a progressive step.

Once on the boat I was confronted with a 2 hour ordeal of Indian curiosity with no escape. I was surrounded by a crowd and probed with questions, but it also meant free tea and snacks so I can’t complain too much. One guy, Baba Bhai, the main man on the boat, was very persistent in his offers for me to come and stay in his house. I didn’t want to be a burden and a nice quiet  camp by the river was appealing so refused the offer.  However when we landed it was already dark making it difficult to find a spot  so I accepted. What followed, after a quick snack at his (Piddha, made of rice flour which was almost exactly like a crumpet, but without butter unfortunately), was being paraded around the large village, visiting his friends and family and posing for countless photos. At around 8 I was taken to the local police station to register where a surly officer told me that I had to stay under police custody for the night because it was dangerous. I was made up a bed in one room of the police station, sharing it with one of the officers. I was reading in bed when he came and sat on the bench next to me and asked what my Kindle (ebook reader) was. When he proceeded to read one page aloud slowly and mispronounced I could barely suppress the giggles at such a strange bedtime story.

After a restless night plagued by mosquitoes attacking my face, an early morning and then being paraded around town for countless chais and snacks I finally managed to bid my farewell to the town and was seen off by about 150 people from the police station. After crossing another small river I found d myself in Meghalaya, a state that I had been really looking forward to. It lived up to my expectations as I began to cycle through quiet roads up the Garo hills. A few days of great riding followed through these ‘tribal regions’, but they were very dusty and my lack of climbing for the last few months left me pretty tired and grubby but happy. At one point the road completely changed into a building site. They are extending the road from a 1 or 2 lane road to a 4 lane one. It was inundated with big trucks and the surface was either compacted mud, covered in gravel or even bigger stones and was a really pain to ride on. So when 2 guys spoke to me from their jeep I asked where they were going, as they were heading to Nongstoin too I asked for a lift which they were more than happy to oblige with.

The ride to Nongstoin had a real party atmosphere, beer, whiskey and loud music. The music varied from strange versions of Christmas songs to happy hardcore, but I have to say that it was great to see that the road was terrible all the way and I was saving myself a couple of days slog so I joined in the singing with pleasure. After graciously refusing hospitality from them on arrival I searched for a lodge, with result, so went to the police station where a chap organized a room for me and gave me a free bottle of whiskey.

At the lodge I met a young group of Ayurvedic joint pain relief salesmen. These guys were heading to Shillong and urged me to come in the taxi with them as the road was bad, I tried to resist and to cycle but after an arm twisting I decided to give and ‘go with the flow’ Indian style. Once my bike was dismantled all 7 of us squeezed into the 4 seater car and the party began.  The 3 hour journey took most of the day what with all the breaks for food, toileting, wrestling and dancing. When we arrived I managed to find the smallest room in Shillong and just got all of my gear in.

Shillong was mildly interesting. Being the centre of British ruled Assam it had a nice park and lake to wander round made by a guy called Ward. I also checked out the archery type lottery that lots of people play there. Basically 10 guys continually fire arrows at a bale for 4 minutes, the ones that stick are counted and the last 2 digits become the winning number. Unfortunately my 25 pence flutter came to nothing.

I left Shillong a couple of days ago for Cherrapunji, a place I have wanted to visit for a couple of years now. Yesterday I went to the Nohkalikai falls, which were stunning. There was a great view from the ridge but I spent a few hours descending the small steep trail which I eventually lost and making my way to the clear blue pool at the bottom by any means necessary. Then clambering my way back up to the top. Exactly my idea of fun. Today I went to see the living bridges made out of tree roots which are stretched across valleys to make footpaths. These take lifetimes to make and last for hundreds of years. They were stunning, one of the most spectacular things I have seen and well worth the long arduous hike back up (over 3000 steps apparently).

So there you go, that is what I have been up to for the last few weeks. I have just over a month remaining on my visa which should give me plenty more time to explore the rest of the North East. From tomorrow I will be back on my steed and aiming for Tripura.

Photos have been updated and can be found here:  http://s1171.beta.photobucket.com/user/philb0412/library/

2 Responses to “Teas and Tribes”

  1. Lewis Noble January 10, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

    Good luck Phil – are you still getting loads of punctures?? small thorns are a real pain to find and get rid of. Take care. We are trekking in Nepal in April, then Dilys will stay on to work in some of the hill villages.


    • philb0412 January 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

      Hello Lewis. No puncture’s haven’t been much of a problem. I have had few here and there but mainly snakebites from riding over rocks or potholes too fast. In fact I am waiting for one on the front, the last time I got one I put the tyre on the wrong way round and then haven’t had another one to change it for about a month. Well I am going to be in Nepal there from mid Feb to mid March so our paths may cross. Do you know what trekking route you are going to do?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: