Goodbye Nepal

9 May

Hello everyone. So it has been a long time since I wrote last. You may have realised that I am back from trekking and not stuck somewhere in the Himalayas.  I will start where I left off, at the start of my trek.

Rosanna and I left or guest house and I had my first taste of walking with my backpack full of clothes, sleeping bag and dried foods to the bus station where we I got my first good view of the mountains.  On the first day we picked up a Swiss guy, Jerome,  who walked with us for the next 10 days. Life on the trek generally started at about 6 in the morning in order o get nice clear views of the mountains, and walk before it got too hot (not a problem later). Normally we would walk for 4-6 hours with short breaks to eat food or refill our water bottles. Then we would arrive at a village where we would get a room and eat dahl baht (rice, lentils and veg) and then sleep early ready for the next day. That was pretty much the daily routine, get up eat, walk, eat, and sleep. It might not sound very interesting, but when you are surrounded by lots of big mountains,  glacial rivers, yaks and big birds circling in the sky there isn’t much more you want to do. It took us 9 days to reach the ‘world’s highest pass’ , the Thorung La, at 5416m and then another 4 days to Tatopani for some hot springs and one final climb to Poon Hill where I watched the sun rise illuminating a backdrop of mountains. I would go into more detail about the scenery, but you can see for yourself when I buy an card reader and upload photos (my camera cable has gone astray).

The trek has to be one of the nicest things I have done, I can’t recommend it highly enough to people. Not only are the views nice, the feeling of getting somewhere through your own steam is satisfying, but there is a nice community of people who you keep bumping into. Ok, so it’s not very remote, but it is easy to do; you don’t need a porter or a guide as the trail is good and accommodation is cheap and plentiful. They sting you on food, but that is why Rosanna and I took about 4kg of grub with us. If you get the chance then it is certainly an experience to remember.

Anyway that all ended about a month and a half ago now, since then I stayed put in the land of milk and honey, Pokhara. The plans to teach went out the window after a couple of weeks there along with the guilt of being lazy; I realised that I was staying in a nice place and I had made a nice circle of friends and that I didn’t want to move, so I didn’t. Over the last 8 months I had spent a lot of time by myself, lacking a lot of the travel experience that comes from meeting other travelers, so it was exactly what I wanted, to get to know people well, and have fun. My days consisted of playing cards, eating fairly plentifully (especially from the bakery), swimming, fishing on the lake, trying to build up my upper body and whiskey to mention a few. I even went for a few bike rides but was limited by a broken pedal until I arrived back here in Kathmandu.

Anyway a new beginning starts tomorrow when I fly to Bangkok. I am meeting my friend J there and we will travel together for the 3 weeks she has off work. I am very excited to reach South East Asia, somewhere completely new for me. But I am most excited about the food, especially from the street (which Nepal and NE India lacks). Anyway once again apologies for leaving it so long.

If you are interested I knocked together a video of a few sights from my trip which you can watch here:


5 Responses to “Goodbye Nepal”

  1. Lewis Noble May 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

    Good to hear from you, Phil!! We looked out for you in Nepal – but, hardly surprisingly, missed you . . . .

    Dilys and I did the Manaslu trek – up from Arughat, over the Lharte pass (approx 5200m) then down the other side incorporating part of the Annapurna trail. Our comments and feelings – much the same as yours. I got ill with a tummy bug and lost a fair bit of weight, but otherwise all went very well.

    Guess what! The Cube Acid, which I bought with the cash you paid me for the Raven Tour, has been nicked!! Lovely bike it was – calming mantras needed.

    But I like Cube bikes, and, unable to afford a Thorn Sherpa, I reckon I’ll try and get another Cube.

    Best of luck for the rest of your travelling.


    • philb0412 May 30, 2013 at 3:55 am #

      Hi Lewis. Bad news about the Cube! How did you loose it, was it locked? Keep your eyes peeled on ebay just in case.
      Good to hear you enjoyed the trekking. Time to hop back on the bike now after a lazy few months!

  2. Cj May 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

    So lovely to hear from you Phillis – Sounds like you are having such an incredible time – very envious as I sit at my desk at work! Take care and enjoy SE Asia xxx

  3. ramonz May 29, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

    Great to catch up with your movements, when you add to the log. keep it up. planning a similar trip myself and interested what your budget has been up til now? almost a year! when are you due back would love to meet. all the best.

    • philb0412 May 30, 2013 at 3:19 am #

      Hello. Glad you are enjoying it. I have budgeted for around 10 pounds a day, trying to live as close to 5 as possible for food and accommodation (very little in Europe as mainly wild camped) and leaving the rest for extras like new parts that are needed, transport costs, partying etc. But to be honest I don’t keep up my accounting much, just trying to live as cheap as possible and not worry about money. Due back date is hazy, it depends when my brother gets married, how far my money goes and if I stop somewhere to teach some English.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: